Did you know that some things you think are helping your productivity are actually keeping you from being productive? Here are 5 mistakes you might be making.
- You’re creating a to-do list with too many tasks on it. Your impossibly long to-do list that takes up several sheets of paper is a recipe for stress. There is no way you can get all the tasks done yourself. Having so many tasks keeps you from focusing on the few tasks that need to be done.
- You’re multitasking by doing 2, 3, or more tasks at the same time. You don’t get anyone’s task done even though you have worked on several. Multitasking takes away your focus.
- Allowing others to interrupt you constantly. When you take your focus off your task for unimportant interruptions, you often don’t return to the task you were doing. Letting friends talk you into going out for a bite to eat when you’re working on your goal won’t get you closer to achieving that goal
- You’re attitude or the attitude of those you are working with can be destroying your productivity. If you or you’re co-worker are constantly negative about how hard they work is or that your boss is singling you out for more work or whatever the destructive thoughts are, you kill your productivity.
- If stress is a big problem in your life, it can reduce how productive you are. Stress keeps you from making decisions, working towards future goals and inhibits your creativity, innovation, and communication.
Until next time,
Anne McGurty is a business strategist specializing in creating systems and structures for the creative entrepreneur. She is also a PMP, Project Management Professional, with over 30 years of experience working with corporations and small businesses to improve communication, identify risks, and manage outstanding issues and help keep projects on schedule, adding value, saving time, and money. Anne is passionate about the role of a consultant and coach to her clients and brings a healthy, life balance perspective to her approach as she is a thriving cancer survivor.