How to Keep Your House Safe During the Holidays
Through the celebration and enjoyment of the holiday season, make sure you are safe and smart.
In this article are 7 simple tips to keep you safe!
Take these simple safety measures to help keep your home safe while you’re gone.
• Do not put out the “we’re not home” indicators — use timers on lights and music or television so your house appears and sounds lived in.
• Inform trusted friends and neighbors letting them know how long you’ll be away and the way to get in touch with you in an emergency. Ask them to keep a watchful eye on your house. Ask them to pick up your mail and newspapers, or better yet, hold shipping and delivery until you get back. Perhaps they could park their cars in your driveway from time to time. In snowy locations, ask them to shovel your walkway and driveway.
• Take off personal information and home phone number from your suitcase tags and add your cell-phone number instead, in case a ruthless baggage collector gets any suspect ideas.
• Secure and hide your valuable items. Remember to keep blinds mostly closed to keep high dollar items (such as your big-screen TV) out of sight. (But be sure not to entirely close all window covers, or it will be evident that no one is home.)
• Adjust the thermostat to an energy-saving level. Unplug most electrical devices to avoid wasting electricity. Turn off your wireless router too, so no one can snoop into your network.
• Clean out all perishable foods from the fridge, and take out the rubbish so you don’t come back to unpleasant odors.
It may seem obvious, but don’t forget to lock all doors and windows. If you leave a vehicle in the drive, make sure you take out any garage door openers.
Wishing you a happy holiday season, making certain you will be safe as well as sensible.
Leave a Comment